- Wreck others then wreck yourself to get ahead
- S20 v S21 any , sensible , thoughts on
- This poor z flip
- Be among the first to play FFXIV Online on
- not to burst any bubbles but Halo MCC is
- Just tried it
- What kind of logic is that? Raytracing is still
- Sega had their name all over the original Xbox
- Long exposure shot
- Call me paranoiac but this popup came out of
- Q: What is the possible reason people buy insanely
- Why do all the best twitter accounts have android
- Poison Mushroom`s got a big heart
- An iphone charger cable, just the cable, is R499
- Persona 5 took over 3 years to hit just
- The Samsung Galaxy S21 can certainly perform, but some
- IT TOOK YOU ALL THAT LONNNNG????? HOLEY SHIIT of
- iPhone5 is better than an Android of 80k
- Every game on mobile: - I am an incompetent
- The Nemesis System patent reminds me of Layers of
- This week on your favorite video game club: Our
- From God of War to Persona 5 Royal, the
- Stolen Let yo key board expose you
- Ads in the settings screen, gross https://t
- Buddy, I don`t take no chump change as a
- If halo showed up on any other console not
- My favorite narrative right now in crypto is people
- Hey hey! It`s #selfpromosaturday what have you got going
- I used to have a higher degree of confidence
- Android users deserve to be left out of clubhouse
trope I am sick and tired of: the game:
January 16, 2021, 11:55 am
trope I am sick and tired of: the game: *gives me no choice but to kill them* me: *sighs, kills them* the game: "oh my god, you killed them! don`t you feel BAD? aren`t we CLEVER?"
Pretty sure Guerrilla Games never released anything off PlayStation before Horizon either though, so there`s definitely hope!
But then my collection will be incomplete Hopefully they`ll release it on PC though, now that they`ve started doing that for games like Horizon and RDR2
@byronguina It`s not *impossible* to execute this type of twist well; it`s just hard. So whenever I see it start to happen, my kneejerk reaction, before I`ve even experienced the payoff of the twist, is annoyance.
@byronguina Because the clues leading up to the twist are obvious, but the payoff of a twist relies on you *not seeing it coming*, it feels like the game doesn`t know its right hand from its left.
@byronguina In particular, the "you shouldn`t have done that action we forced you to do" twist is both common in games and often poorly executed.
Yeah that sounds like the latter scenario in one of my previous tweets and totally frustrating. I think it could work if done correctly and done sparingly with the right theme/motifs. I dont think I trust most game writers at all to do it well though.
@byronguina When a twist is done well, it`s fun because it`s *not* anticipated, and when you re-experience the story, you can find the clues you missed the first time through. But, because games tend to have lower quality stories than movies, it`s often too easy to see the twists coming.
@byronguina In the second case, it`s annoying because it assumes I didn`t anticipate the "twist", which is patronizing (and just bad writing).
@byronguina In the first case, it`s annoying because it`s not my mistake; I got railroaded into it. If the *character* is experiencing regret, that`s fine; it`s when they try to make the *player* feel guilty for something outside of their control that I get annoyed.
Ghost of Tsushima does a brilliant job of avoiding this trope. The backbone of the story is the conflict between the rigid honour code of the protagonist`s samurai upbringing, and the need to break his code in order to save his people.
Lol I just made a big priv thread stressing about exactly this The game seemed to be very explicitly emphasizing the importance of the player being responsible for defining how we see the truth, but then my character goes *bang bang* by themself and I`m like, "oh."
I kinda get it. A more authored experience, put player in someone elses shoes etc. But agreed it doesnt land in a video game like it would in a book.